Acadia Parish prep basketball games postponed
CROWLEY – With the anticipation of ice, sleet and possibly even snow, a number of Acadia Parish basketball games slated for Friday evening have been postponed.
Notre Dame and Crowley High have both postponed their games while Midland and Northside Christian will make a decision around noon on whether or not to play their games.
Notre Dame was scheduled to host North Vermilion Friday evening in a District 5-AAA contest.
Instead, the Lady Pios will take on the Lady Patriots on Friday, Feb. 1. The boys’ game will take place on Friday, Feb. 18. Both games will be played at A.B. Dore gym.
“Right now, if North Vermilion closes school, which we are anticipating, they can’t play so we felt that the best thing to do was to postpone the game early,” said Notre Dame girl’s’ coach Nolan Theriot Thursday morning.
The postponement is actually a good thing when it comes to girls’ basketball - for both teams involved. Both Notre Dame and North Vermilion had a bye on the final playing date which is Feb. 11.
“Our last regular-season game was supposed to be Tuesday and then we would have had nine days off before the playoffs started,” said Theriot. “This way we don’t have to play a tuneup game and everybody gets a game in on the last playing date.”
Notre Dame will be in action again Tuesday when both the boys’ and girls’ teams travel to Kaplan.
In Crowley High’s case, no date has been set as of yet for the makeup, but the games will be played.
Crowley was scheduled to play host to Eunice on Friday.
“Due to the weather conditions and the fact that both schools don’t have school Friday, we decided to postpone the game,” said CHS principal Steve Duplechin. “Next week we’ll come back and look at when we will play it.”
Crowley returns to action Tuesday against Northwest at Prairie Rhonde.
Midland and Northside Christian have both opted to wait to make the call until Friday.
“It’s going to be more of a game-time decision for us,” said NCS coach Byron Starks, whose team is scheduled to travel to New Iberia to take on Assembly Chrisitan. “We’ll get together and probably make a decision by noon.”
Midland is scheduled to make the trip to Grand Lake for a key District 7-B contest.
“We won’t make a decision until Friday,” said Midland coach Todd Briley. “We’re hoping to be able to get it in.”
The weather conditions were a non-issue for Iota, which has a bye date. The Lady Dogs and Bulldogs return to action Tuesday when they travel to Pine Prairie for a pair of District 5-AA contests.