AG sends letter regarding claims process
BATON ROUGE — Today, Attorney General Buddy Caldwell delivered a letter to Kenneth Feinberg, overseer of the new oil spill compensation fund, informing him of the difficulties the State has had in getting information from BP regarding the claims process. Caldwell also requests that Louisiana play an active role in the development of a data-sharing protocol between BP and the federal and state governments regarding claims processing.
In addition, the State is requesting information concerning how the third party administration of the oil spill compensation fund will be managed, including:
· Any literature developed in preparation of the management of the oil spill fund and/or any literature developed regarding past funds which Feinberg has managed;
· The identity of the third party claims administrator and all sub-contractors selected, or the process by which the claims administrator will be selected.
· The timeframe for the takeover of the claims process by the third party administrator;
· How the National Pollution Fund Center or other federal agencies will oversee the process;
· Expected improvements in the claims process; and
· The level of transparency and participation that Louisiana will be granted in the claims process of the new oil spill compensation fund.