Ask the LDWF Agent: Bow hunting regulations

Q. I'm interested in bow hunting. Are there any classes? Are there regulations I should be aware of?

A. You need to go to the LDWF web site,, to find out when they are offering classes in your area.

Regulations on Bow Hunting: Longbow, compound bow and crossbow or any bow drawn, held or released by mechanical means will be a legal means of take for all properly-licensed hunters. Bow and arrow fishermen must have a sport fishing license and not carry any arrows with broadhead points unless a big game season is in progress.

It is unlawful:

1. To carry a gun including those powered by air or other means while hunting with bow and arrow during the special bow and arrow deer season except, it is lawful to carry a .22 caliber rimfire pistol loaded with #12 shot (ratshot) only.

2. To have in possession or use any poisoned or drugged arrow or arrows with explosive tips.

3. To hunt deer with a bow having a pull less than 30 pounds.

4. To hunt with a bow or crossbow fitted with an infrared, laser sight, electrically operated sight or device specifically designed to enhance vision at night (does NOT include non-projecting red dot sights).

Any person hunting any wildlife management area during the open gun season for deer must wear hunter's orange.

About the Author: Sgt. Scott Fontenot has been with Wildlife and Fisheries, Enforcement Division, for 16 years. Remember, Wildlife and Fisheries has a toll free number to report any game or fish violations at 1-800-442-2511.

These questions and answers deal with general hunting and fishing situations. If you choose to hunt or fish on a wildlife management area (state and federal), you should check to see if there are special rules or regulations for that area. There could even be a special ordinance in the parish or on the property you wish to fish or hunt.

Anyone with questions for Wildlife and Fisheries agents should send them to or mail to The Gazette, c/o W&F Questions, PO Box 220, Ville Platte, La. 70586.

A message to the public: Please remember not to litter. You can report litter violations to your local wildlife agents or by calling Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries at 1-800-442-2511. If an anonymous complaint is received from the public on a litter violation, and a case is made from that complaint, a reward will be given by the Evangeline Parish Solid Waste Commission.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us