Ask the LDWF Agent: How do I report a violation

Q. If I see a gaming violation, should I call my local law enforcement agency, like the sheriff, or is there a number to contact a game warden?

A. If you would like to report a game violation, you can call the LDWF Operation Game Thief number at 1-800-442-2511 or attempt to contact your local wildlife agent. If you wish you can contact the local sheriff's office and they will, in turn, make contact with a local wildlife agent.

Q. You hear of deer stand accidents in the news. What can I do as a hunter to ensure my safety when utilizing a deer stand?

A. You are correct, there unfortunately are many accidents involving several different kinds of tree stands throughout the state of Louisiana. To help ensure your safety, you should inspect your stand for possible defects, properly secure the stand to the tree or with a tie down strap if you're hunting from a tripod or box stand. Also, you could purchase a safety harness or belt to use while ascending and descending with your tree stand. The safety harness should remain on at all times while in the tree stand.

About the Author: Sgt. Scott Fontenot has been with Wildlife and Fisheries, Enforcement Division, for 15 years. Remember, Wildlife and Fisheries has a toll free number to report any game or fish violations at 1-800-442-2511.

These questions and answers deal with general hunting and fishing situations. If you choose to hunt or fish on a wildlife management area (state and federal), you should check to see if there are special rules or regulations for that area. There could even be a special ordinance in the parish or on the property you wish to fish or hunt.

Anyone with questions for Wildlife and Fisheries agents should send them to or mail to The Gazette, c/o W&F Questions, PO Box 220, Ville Platte, La. 70586.

A message to the public: Please remember not to litter. You can report litter violations to your local wildlife agents or by calling Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries at 1-800-442-2511. If an anonymous complaint is received from the public on a litter violation, and a case is made from that complaint, a reward will be given by the Evangeline Parish Solid Waste Commission.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us