Ask the LDWF Agent: Youth and deer tags

Q. Do children under the age of 16 need to obtain deer tags for the 2008-2009 deer season and how do they obtain the tags?

A. Yes, everyone including those under the age of 16 need to obtain deer tags. Those who are under the age of 16 need to go to their local vendors who sell hunting licenses and bring with them all of their personal information (name, address, date of birth, etc.), along with their social security number, in order to be issued a set of deer tags.

For more information on Louisiana hunting regulations, visit the LDWF website at

About the Author: Sgt. Scott Fontenot has been with Wildlife and Fisheries, Enforcement Division, for 15 years. Remember, Wildlife and Fisheries has a toll free number to report any game or fish violations at 1-800-442-2511.

These questions and answers deal with general hunting and fishing situations. If you choose to hunt or fish on a wildlife management area (state and federal), you should check to see if there are special rules or regulations for that area. There could even be a special ordinance in the parish or on the property you wish to fish or hunt.

Anyone with questions for Wildlife and Fisheries agents should send them to or mail to The Gazette, c/o W&F Questions, PO Box 220, Ville Platte, La. 70586.

A message to the public: Please remember not to litter. You can report litter violations to your local wildlife agents or by calling Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries at 1-800-442-2511. If an anonymous complaint is received from the public on a litter violation, and a case is made from that complaint, a reward will be given by the Evangeline Parish Solid Waste Commission.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us