Bandstand enlarged; postmaster appointed; hotel for sale

From files of The Eunice News:

March 1924

Abe Boudreau has increased seating capacity at Abe’s Place and enlarged the bandstand. He also says a strict moral code is enforced at the establishment and nothing offensive will be permitted.

Clifford J. Hebert, secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, is dance floor manager.

The new owners of the Eunice Motor Co., Ford agency and garage, are Leon Dupre, Raoul. Labourgeois and Clonton Mornhinveg. They purchased the business from Gournay Motor Co.

Eunice currently has a population of 5,000. Larger firms are Eunice Rice Mill, the cotton oil mill, two cotton gins, and hardwood and pine lumber mills. The city has five freight trains and 16 passenger trains serving it daily.

Choice property will be sold by the succession of the late Christoval Miller. It consists of 52 by 42 feet on the south of Maple Avenue. Peter Miller is administrator.

Construction on the new $150,000 school building in Eunice started this month and work on the three highways leading out of the city should begin soon.

Joseph A. Gil, former editor of the Eunice Gall, has received his commission as postmaster of Eunice. Alphan Fuselier has been acting postmaster.

M.J. Fruge has purchased half interest in Teer Furniture. He will be in charge of the clerical work and sales department, with S.J. Quirk as his assistant. A.F. McGee remains as store manager.

Phillip Hotel, on the corner of Second Street and Laurel Avenue, opposite the Southern Banking Co., is for sale. It has a waterworks and electric lights, with hot and cold baths.

The price of ice at Eureka Ice Co. is now 80 cents per 100 pounds cash or coupon books,. Up to 5,000 pounds can be purchased at considerable discount, according to R.K. Norris.

Eunice now has a Rotary Club. L.A. Andrepont, who organized the Opelousas club, led the organizational effort here. He is editor of the Clarion-Progress. Charter officers are George T. Guillet, president; Abe Boudreau, vice president; R.K. Norris, secretary; and M.M. Milburn, treasurer.

Star Filling Station has opened at 3rd & Laurel. It is owned by Andrew J. Wilfert. It sells Stanoncola gasoline and Firestone, Oldfield and Gates tires.

Mrs. Eugene LeBoeuf, 92-year-old pioneer of the Frey community, has died, leaving 236 children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.

A.F. McGee and R.C. Keller have completed purchase of the Electric Theater Building at 2nd & Park and plan to complete its construction as a house for movies and stage plays.

A 14-month-old victim of the deadly fireworks known as “spit devils” was buried in the city cemetery, the second young victim of this deadly device within the past two months.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us