Bomb threat at Abbeville High
Abbeville High School was evacuated Thursday morning for two hours because of a bomb threat.
AHS Assistant principal Jeff Janette said that the threat was received between 10:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. and that the 650 students in the school were evacuated to the field behind the school buildings.
He said “the students are being supervised by their teachers while outside and that the school is under a lock-down situation.”
Abbeville Police Chief Rick Coleman said that a note had been left in one of the bathrooms.
“The note was left in one of the boys’ bathrooms in such a way that it was meant to be found.,” Coleman said. “Right now, we’re looking at two persons of interest in the case. The school has very good security cameras and we were able to review their recordings to identify to potential people of interest.”
Coleman said that at the time the building was under investigation, one of the two people of interest was still on campus, but that the other left campus just before the note had been discovered.
“The note was found by the next student in line to use the facilities in the boys’ bathroom. We were able to bring in the dogs from K-9 Unlimited in Nunez to search the buildings. They had several dogs that were there going through re-training, but are certified dogs already.”
“This is a tense situation for the parents as well as the students and teachers,” said Coleman. “We just hope to resolve this situation a quickly as possible. We have a DNA sample we are sending out for analysis but that will take some time before we have an answer.”
Coleman also said that the person or persons involved in leaving the bomb threat note would probably face criminal charges with jail time most likely as well.