Fourth Quarter Surge lift Red Devils Past Wolves

By: TJ Fontenot
The Wolves dropped to 0-2 in district play Friday evening when the Port Barre Red Devils made their way into Wolf Stadium and claimed a 40-13 win over Rayne High.

In a contest that saw Rayne High with a small lead heading into the fourth quarter, the Red Devils put up 28 points in the final stanza to go ahead and stay ahead for the win.

“We didn’t have a good effort tonight,” commented Rayne High head coach Curt Ware following the loss.

“We were winning throughout almost the entire game, but something just wasn’t there and it caught up to us,” continued Ware after the game.

A fumble in the third quarter while the Wolves were driving after a big stop by the Rayne defense seemed to be the difference maker in the game.

“There’s no doubt that play was a momentum swing the wrong way for us,” Ware noted. “But, we have to learn to get over those mistakes and keep playing good football.”

Rayne received the ball first and let some sparks fly on the first play from scrimmage when quarterback Clerance Leger connected with RJ Buchannan for a 26-yard gain to the 37. But the Port Barre defense put out the fire real quick when they came away with a sack on a big third down as the Wolves were forced to punt.

A good return placed the Red Devils at mid-field for their first drive. A couple of first downs moved the ball into Rayne’s red zone where the tailback found a seam was untouched for a 14-yard touchdown run. The PAT missed wide to give Port Barre an early 6-0 lead.

After a couple of possession changes, the Wovles put a good drive together going eighty yards and eating up over eight minutes off the clock, resulting in a Buchannan two-yard touchdown as he took a hand-off around the corner. A blocked PAT knotted the game at 6-all.

The Red Devil’s next possession started strong getting quickly into Rayne territory until the Wolf defense stiffened to force a punt from the 37. A fake punt screen catches the Wolves by surprise and successfully gets the first and more going 37 yards for Port Barre’s second score of the night. A two-point conversion attempt fails for a 12-6 Port Barre lead.

The Wolves answered the call when Leger connected with Dannie Harmon on the first play from scrimmage for 78-yard touchdown pass. The solid PAT placed Rayne ahead, 13-12.

Rayne carried the momentum from the end of the first half into the second when Cooper Bouillion got a tackle for loss, forcing a punt on Port Barre’s opening possession. The punt was partially blocked and was downed at the Red Devil’s 34. After Brody Bourque got the Wolves to the 16, a loose ball hit the ground and the Red Devils recovered at their own 11. Even though there were no points scored off of the turnover, the Wolves looked deflated after that play.

The third quarter ended with Rayne holding on to a 13-12 lead, but Port Barre took the game over in the fourth quarter. After receiving a punt, Port Barre returned to their own 49. The first play from scrimmage put the Red Devils in position to make waves at the Rayne 6 yard line. They would score shortly after on a 1-yard touchdown run. Two-point conversion was good putting the Red Devils ahead 20-13.

The next drive for the Wolves ended early and were forced to punt again with the Red Devils taking over at their own 28. After a first down to the 42, then again into Rayne territory at the 45, the Red Devils broke a couple of tackles and rumbled in from 38 yards out for a touchdown. The PAT was good for a 27-13 Port Barre lead.

The Wolves stalled in their own territory on their next possession, but were forced to go for the fourth down conversion with just over five minutes left on the clock. Port Barre answered the call and got the turnover on downs with good field position at the Rayne 23. Two plays later the Red Devils scored on a 20-yard touchdown run. The PAT gave Port Barre a 34-13 lead with very little time remaining.

Rayne’s next possession puts Port Barre in the end zone again as Leger, who was heavily pressured all night, was hit as he attempted a throw with the ball landing in a Red Devil defender’s hands with no one to stop him for a 21-yard interception return. The missed PAT ended the scoring on the night at 40-13 for a Rayne High loss, dropping the Wolves to 5-2 on the season and 0-2 in district play.

The Wolves were held to only 242 yards of total offense. Williams was the leading rusher with just 46, followed closely by Buchanan (40) and Bourque (37).

Dannie Harmon had majority of the passing yards with his 78-yard touchdown reception.

On defensive, Patrick Charles racked up the most tackles with 12 and RJ Buchannan followed up with 8.5 and Billy marcantel with six.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us