Hazardous Waste Day Oct. 2nd
By: Howell Dennis
CROWLEY - Acadia Parish residents who have waste, chemicals or any other household item that may be hazardous or toxic will be able to dispose of them safely next Saturday, October 2, 2010 from 8 a.m. til 12 noon.
The Acadia Parish Police Jury and the Local Emergency Planning Committee are sponsoring Household Hazardous Waste Day 2010 for parish residents at the Rice Arena at 159 Cherokee Dr. in Crowley.
Among the items being accepted are:
- Automotive products such as used oil, oil filters, antifreeze, fuel, car batteries, and tires (without rims).
- Paint products such as thinners, solvents, spray cans, brush, cleaners, paint strippers, lacquers, wood sealers and turpentine.
- Gardening products including insect killer (pesticides/fertilizers), week killers, unclean sprayers and spreaders.
- Cleaning products including drain cleaners, degreasers, oven cleaners, bleach, ammonia, cleaning solvents, spot removers and cleaner concentrates (liquid and powder).
- Pool chemicals such as acid and chlorine.
- Glues and solvents.
- Thermometers and other mercury items.
- Fluorescent bulbs and compact bulbs.
Items that will not be accepted include PCB Oil, light ballasts, dioxin waste, explosives, DEA listed prescription drugs, bio-hazardous medical waste, and municipal garbage.
Those dropping off items are required to show a picture identification proving they are a citizen of Acadia Parish.