Landry sworn in at council
Tuesday night, the Abbeville City Council convened for a finance and ordinances committee meeting, followed by a regular session meeting to discuss Keep Abbeville Beautiful, Fireman of the Year, and other initiatives on the agenda.
Council member Wayne Landry was officially sworn in by City Court Judge Ed Broussard, who will be officially sworn in as district judge in January. Landry was elected as District D councilman Saturday, after serving since June on an appointment to replace Carlton Campbell, who left the council due to an ethics ruling.
During the finance committee, councilman Francis Touchet Jr. (District B) and city accountant Lonnie Broussard addressed the city’s budget for the first eight months, concluding that the budget is under control, with a few surpluses that can be used to finish paying for expenses incurred by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.
Council Secretary-Treasurer Kathleen Faulk supplied a report that stated hurricane expenses for Ike and Gustav were approximately $730,000, and explained that FEMA has tentatively agreed to re-pay 75 percent of the costs, and the remaining 25 percent is the city’s responsibility.
The council re-visited an old ordinance requiring address numbers to be uniformly placed on houses to assist first responders.
Councilman Touchet said the council should vote on approving an ordinance requiring that “address numbers must be not less than four inches tall, and be clearly visible from the street.” The council is set to vote on the ordinance October 21.
Janice Macomber, chairman of the Keep Abbeville Beautiful program, received a key to the city from Mayor Mark Piazza for her contribution to the program over the last four years.
“Janice has cleaned up some 400 abandoned vehicles around Abbeville. Abbeville is really a better place because of our Keep Abbeville Beautiful Committee and the volunteers and the efforts of Janice,” Piazza said. Macomber will be stepping down as chairman and Sandra Creswell will be taking over as chairman.
Fire Chief Elvin Michaud announced Beau Barras as Firefighter of the Year.
“It’s been a privilege for the six years in January that I’ve been with the Abbeville Fire Department,” Barras said. “It’s been a privilege and an honor to serve the community of Abbeville and I’m looking forward to many years serving our citizens with pride and honor."
Chief Michaud explained that Barras was voted Firefighter of the Year by his peers at the Abbeville Fire Department for his service and dedication.
Other official orders of business included the renewal of the Abbeville Main Street program, a presentation by the Small Business Administration explaining disaster recovery loans, plans for the construction of a walking trail at Gertis Huntsberry Park, and the update of several ongoing public works projects including the re-roofing of the Abbeville Water Treatment Plant and the renovation of a water treatment clarifier.
The council will re-convene in two weeks on Oct. 21, 2008 to vote on several ordinances and to discuss the progress of these public works projects.