Local students observe fire safety week

By Katherine Miller

STAFF WRITER

Fire Prevention Week, which is slated annually during October, extends from Sunday, October 4, through Saturday, October 10.

Annually, the Crowley Fire Department visits elementary schools within the parish to inform students on the importance of fire safety and its prevention.

The chosen theme this year is “Stay fire smart, don’t get burned!”

Crowley Fire Department Captain, Chad Monceaux visited the students of North Crowley Elementary Tuesday morning in conjunction with this annual occurrence, to speak with them about respecting fire, and how to handle potential situations which may occur.

“Every family and school must have a planned escape route in the event of a fire,” explained Monceaux. “Fire drills should be held monthly, and each member of the school/family should make sure they are where they are supposed to be in the event of a fire.”

Monceaux also used real-life situations to explain how dangerous fire can be. The situation involved a brother and sister who had set the house on fire by playing with a lighter.

“Never play with matches or lighters. Be sure to let an adult know if you see these things lying around,” he said.

During his speech, Monceaux also stressed the importance of having at least one fire alarm present in the home at all times, making sure to check them monthly to ensure that they are working properly.

These alarms, however, should never be installed in the kitchen or the bathroom.

Students then toured the fire department’s trailer, which presents similar situations to that of a real fire.

The main objective of this annual event each is to focus attention on the promotion and prevention, which should be used all year long. Many potential fire hazards go undetected because people do not take the necessary steps to fireproof their homes.

Other factors in the home that should be considered are to keep flammable items like bedding, clothes and curtains at least three feet away from portable heaters or lit candles. Also, items such as electric blankets should not be operated if they have frayed power cords, and electrical outlets should never be overloaded.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us