‘Fizz, Boom, Read!’
The Acadia Parish Library system is calling all young readers and scientists to arms.
This year’s Summer Reading Program, “Fizz, Boom, Read!” is under way and lasts through Aug. 9.
Fizz, Boom, Read! will see readers transformed into young scientists this year. The children will explore different types of spectacular science experiments.
The program is open at all branches of the library and to children ages pre-kindergarten through fourth grade, living in the parish area. They are all invited to come and enjoy the summer and learn while having fun.
Families can register their child(ren) and, upon registration, each child will receive a colorful reading log to record the books read and a colorful bookmark.
When the child reads 10 books, he or she gets his or her name placed on a wall display in the library and a prize. After 20, he or she receives a special certificate. More prizes and recognition will be available as the summer goes on for more and more books.
To participate in the program, the child not only needs to be registered but must have a valid Acadia Parish Library Card.
Patrons wishing to receive a library card should provide staff with a valid Louisiana state drivers license or ID and two proofs of address. Students may show school ID or report card but a responsible party will be required for children under the age of 16 to get a library card. Children can receive a card at any age as long as a parent or legal guardian will assume responsibility.
Library cards are free, though there is a $1 replacement charge to replace lost cards.
Parents are encouraged to bring their children for an “exploding” fun-filled summer through stories and crafts that will have their children eager to investigate by reading books this summer. The children will learn to do various activities based on the theme of the day at each story time.
Story times are as follows, per branch:
• Church Point: Tuesdays, June 10-July 15, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
• Crowley: Wednesdays, June 11-July 16, 10 a.m.-11 a.m.
• Estherwood: Mondays, June 9-July 14, 2-3 p.m.
• Iota: Wednesdays, June 11-July 16, 2-3 p.m.
• Mermentau: Tuesdays, June 10-July 15, 2-3 p.m.
• Morse: Mondays, June 9-July 14, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
• Rayne: Thursdays, June 12-July 17, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
The Crowley and Rayne library branches will also host “Movie Madness” this summer. Rayne will host it Tuesdays, June 10-July 22, at 1:30 p.m. and Crowley will host Thursdays, June 12-July 24, at 1:30 p.m.
The program will have a special kickoff as well this year and a big finale. The kickoff will be held at the Crowley Adult Education Meeting Room (the Old Wal-Mart building), Wednesday, June 4, at 1:30 p.m. with “The Magic of Barry Primo.” This event is open to the public.For its finale, The Harvey Rabbit and Friends Show will be held at five locations. They are as follows:
• Iota branch: Monday, July 21, 10 a.m., Iota Elementary cafeteria.
• Estherwood, Mermentau and Morse branches: Monday, July, 21, 2 p.m., Midland High girls gym.
• Rayne branch: Tuesday, July 22, 10 a.m., Rayne High gym.
• Church Point branch: Tuesday, July 22, 2 p.m., Church Point Elementary cafeteria.
• Crowley branch: Wednesday, July 23, 10 a.m., Adult Education meeting room.
T-shirts and book bags with the “Fizz, Boom, Read!” logo are available for purchase by the public now at each library branch.
For more information, call 337-788-1880 or visit www.acadiaparishlibrary.org.