Operation Blue Roof to Start in St Martin Parish
St Martin Parish Officials and the US Army Corps of Engineers want to announce that Operation BLUE ROOF will begin in St Martin Parish Sunday, September 7. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) will their Right of Entry Collection Sight at the Parks Fire Department, 1011 Martin Street, Parks, LA 70582 to begin taking applications and completing Right of Entry (ROE) Forms for the program.
St Martin Parish residents will be able to go to the Parks Fire Dept to file applications for assistance in receiving temporary roof repairs at no charge to the owner. The hours of operation will be 9:00 AM – 6:30 PM daily until further notice.
A site is in the process of being set up for residents of Lower St Martin in the Belle River and Stephensville areas. When plans are finalized the location and times of that site will be announced.
Here are some facts about Operation BLUE ROOF:
* To qualify for BLUE ROOF services, damage to the roof must be less than 50 percent and the area to be covered must be structurally sound for a crew to work on. The roof must be free of debris.
* In order to have plastic sheeting placed on their roofs, homeowners must complete a right of entry form to allow government and contractor employees on their property. Right of Entry (ROE) centers are manned by Corps of Engineers employees.
* The Corps is covering roofs in the hardest hit parishes first. Be patient. The Corps will respond to every person who has completed a ROE as rapidly as possible.
* In some instances, there may be a slowdown in installing plastic sheeting because of a national shortage.
* Homeowners can also cover their roof with free tarps provided by FEMA and issued through their local governments.
* The plastic covering and the tarps are temporary fixes designed to provide protection from the elements until the homeowner can make permanent repairs with a qualified professional.
* Residents may call 1-888-766-3258 for more information.
The BLUE ROOF program is provided by FEMA through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in all parishes that have been declared by FEMA for the Individual Assistance program. St Martin Parish has been declared for this program. The FEMA-assigned “blue-roof” mission provides temporary roof repairs to help families return to the daily routine and homes.
Larry J Landry Sr
Lt Col/Deputy Chief of Operational Services
St Martin Parish Sheriff's Office
Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness
4870 Main Hwy
St Martinville, LA 70582
(337)394-3071 (Main Office)
(337)394-2800 (Receptionist - 24 hrs)