Parish blighted property ordinance in effect

Don’t be surprised if there is a residential building that is considered “blighted” or run-down that the owner if said property gets a letter from the Vermilion Parish Police Jury with direction to tear it down.

Last month the jury approved a new ordinance, parishwide, not just in recognized subdivisions that states if a building is or was once a residence and is falling down or hazardous, the owner will have to take care of the structure or face the consequences.

The first step will be a letter from the jury’s legal counsel and a deadline to communicate with the jury how the problem will be rectified.

The matter will then be brought before the jury for determination, depending upon the response of the owner.

If no action is taken by the homeowner, the jury will then determine whether or not to hire someone to demolish the structure and bill the owner or to take the matter on as a law suit.

Juror Wayne Touchet has been in favor of the ordinance for quite sometime.

“When I was campaigning before my first term as a juror the condition of the house at the corner of Darlene and North State street was brought to my attention, but since it wasn’t in a recognized subdivision, it didn’t violate the ordinance,” Touchet stated.

“That house was the first thing I thought of when we passed this new ordinance.”

In order to report a blighted property, the complaint needs to be turned in on the proper form with complete information.

For more information contact the Vermilion Parish Police Jury office at 337-898-4300.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us