Prince spared the death penalty
CROWLEY - After eight long years, the families of Angella Matte and Jackie Campbell can finally have some closure as Daniel Prince, the man accused of murdering the two, will probably be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The official sentencing will be this Friday
The District Attorney’s office had been seeking the death penalty.
“It was a hung jury on the death sentence and there will be a pre-sentencing investigation before his sentence is handed down,” said Assistant District Attorney Roger Hamilton. “I do believe that justice was done and the families can now begin the healing process.”
When speaking with courtroom observers, however, the investigation should be a near formality for a man found guilty of the first degree murder of two people.
Prince, who has a lengthy rap sheet consisting of crimes from burglary to possession of contraband in a penal facility, was found guilty on Wednesday of the murders of Campbell and Matte. Numerous motions by his attorneys along with a delay after he was charged with smuggling marijuana and pornography into the Acadia Parish Jail delayed the trial for five years after his arrest in January 2007.
He was in jail on another charge at the time but was arrested for the murders after bragging to another inmate about the crime in January 2005.
“One thing you can count on with most criminals is that they normally aren’t very bright,” said another courtroom observer on Thursday. “He may have gotten away with it if he had just kept his mouth shut.”
Prince murdered Cambell and Matte in their own trailer after they had been out celebrating Cambell’s 40th birthday. He then set the trailer on fire to conceal the murders.