Rayne Police share in forfeited drug money; $20,346.90 planned for training, equipment

By: PAUL KEDINGER Managing Editor

District Attorney Mike Harson handed Rayne Police Chief Carroll Stelly a check in the amount of $20,346.90 in court-ordered forfeited drug proceeds Wednesday afternoon.

The check represents 60 percent of the money confiscated following a search warrant which was executed on the residence of Mark Sinegal, who eventually pled guilty to Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine and was sentenced on June 21, 2010, to six years in prison.

During the search of Sinegal’s residence on Feb. 6, 2009, Rayne police confiscated $34,643 in cash, along with various illegal drugs.

Also as a result of the court-ordered forfeiture, three vehicles were confiscated. Two of the three, a 1989 Cadillac, and a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban, will be auctioned off this weekend. A third vehicle, a 2005 Chevrolet Impala will be used as a vehicle by the Rayne Police Department, explained Chief Stelly.

Under the forfeiture laws of Louisiana, 60 percent of the proceeds judged to be from illegal drug sales are turned over to the arresting agency, with the remaining 40 percent shared equally by the District Attorney’s office and the Criminal Court Fund, administered by the Acadia Parish Police Jury.

Chief Stelly stated the forfeited drug money will be used to purchase equipment, and provide funds for training and drug enforcement for the department.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us