Frigid conditions causes games to be postponed
Iota’s Whitney Landry goes up for a shot Tuesday during the Lady Dogs’ 52-41 victory over South Beauregard.
CROWLEY – With the impending threat of frigid temperatures and possible wintry precipitation, the Acadia Parish School Board Thursday announced the closures of its public schools today and with that, the postponement of a number of high school basketball games.
“The safety of our student-athletes is what comes first. So if school is out due to inclement weather, we don’t want to get the kids out just to play a game,” said Crowley High coach Derrick Boone, whose game at Eunice has been postponed until a later date.”
Boone said the postponement was simply a precaution.
“We can always make the game up,” he said. “It’s not a necessity to play the game Friday. Anything that threatens our kids safety, we’ll make adjustments and reschedule the game.”
Elsewhere around the parish, story was much the same, with only a few exceptions.
In Midland, coach Todd Briley said his team’s game at Bell City has also been pushed back until the end of the season.
“Calcasieu Parish is out of school and they can’t play because of that,” said Briley. “They wanted us to go over there tonight (Thursday) but it was just too short of a notice. It’s a big game for us and it’s beyond routine, so I didn’t want to do that.”
The Rebels and the Lady Rebels will travel to Bell City either Feb. 11 or Feb. 14 for the makeup, he said.
Iota’s District 4-3A game at St. Louis has been postponed as has Church Point’s contest at Port Barre. No dates for the makeup were announced.
And, Rayne, the final public high school in the parish, has delayed its games against Beau Chene to Saturday with the first contest slated for a 6 p.m. tipoff.
Despite the threat of inclement weather, two games were still scheduled to be played as of press time Thursday.
Notre Dame’s league game at home against Erath was still set to be played as was Northside Christian’s home contest against Hathaway.
“As of now, we’re going play our games,” said Notre Dame Lady Pios’ coach Nolan Theriot. “As of right now, we see no reason why we wouldn’t play.
“My understanding is that the freezing rain is supposed to come between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. and it’s going to get warmer as the day goes. We shouldn’t have any freezing weather tomorrow evening so we don’t feel that it will hinder any travel arrangements.
“As long as Erath can come, we’re going to play the games.”