UPDATE: Marshal determines cause of Church Point fire
CHURCH POINT – The fire in Church Point over the weekend that killed 47-year-old Elaine Thibodeaux Faul likely started from smoking materials, according to State Fire Marshal Butch Browning.
The fire marshal says an ashtray was found on the sofa where the fire started.
A neighbor pulled Faul's body from the home before first responders arrived. Firefighters and police officers tried to resuscitate her but couldn't.
The home did have a smoke alarm installed however the battery had been removed some time prior to the weekend's deadly fire.