ALEXANDRIA, February 12, 2009 - Rural water and waste systems are now

eligible to apply for USDA Rural Development project funding for

stand-alone generators. In the past, generator funding was only

available as part of a larger water or waste project; for example, a

water or sewer system expansion which included back-up generators as

part of the project.

A recent change in procedure now allows water or waste systems in rural

areas that have experienced power outages of at least 24 consumer hours

during one of the last five years to apply for USDA Rural Development

funding to purchase a stand-alone generator.

As part of the application process, the rural water or waste system must

obtain verification of consumer hour power outages from their electric

provider and submit the power outage verification to USDA Rural

Development with the application for funding.

During the past five years, Louisiana's rural water and waste systems

have suffered substantial power outages due to hurricanes and other

storm events, leading to loss of water and waste services for rural

residents. The new procedure will allow these systems to apply for

funding for generators which help them be better prepared for future

disaster events.

Public bodies, non-profit organizations, and recognized tribes may

qualify for assistance through USDA Rural Development's water and waste

loan, loan guarantee, and grant program for drinking water, sanitary

sewer, solid waste, and storm drainage facilities in rural areas.

For more information on this funding opportunity, contact your local

USDA Rural Development Area Office:

Monroe Area Office - (318) 343-4467, extension 6

Natchitoches Area Office - (318) 352-7100, extension 6

Lafayette Area Office - (337) 262-6601, extension 6

Amite Area Office - (985) 748-8751, extension 6

USDA Rural Development provides a full range of rural development credit

services in rural Louisiana. Further information on USDA Rural

Development's loan and grant programs may be obtained by visiting USDA

Rural Development's web site at:

USDA Rural Development is an equal opportunity lender, provider, and

employer. Complaints of discrimination should be sent to: USDA,

Director, Office of Civil Rights, Washington, DC 20250-9140.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us