Veterans can apply for Louisiana medal

To honor the sacrifice and service of the veterans of Louisiana who served in the Armed Forces, the state will award the Louisiana Veteran’s Honor Medal.

Here are the eligibility criteria:

• A veteran who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during wartime or peacetime.

• A veteran who received an honorable discharge or died prior to separation.

A veteran who is a current Louisiana resident, was a resident of the state upon entering military service or a resident at the time of his death.

• You must provide a copy of the Veteran’s DD214, report of separation. Eligibility will be verified, and additional documentation may be required. Relatives or friends of the veteran may apply for the medal on the veteran’s behalf. however, medals will on be provided to the veteran or deceased veteran’s next of kin.

Due to the limited supply, only one medal per veteran will be issued. No medals will be sold or provided to collectors.

Applications may be downloaded from the LDVA Web site at or may be obtained at the Vermilion Parish Veterans Affairs Service Office, 407 Charity Street, Suite 101, Abbeville, La., 70510.

For more information, contact Steve Ramke, Vermilion Parish Service Officer, Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs at 893-2072.

Acadia Parish Today

Crowley Post-Signal
P.O. Box 1589, Crowley, LA 70527
Phone: 337-783-3450
Fax: 337-788-0949

Rayne-Acadian Tribune
P.O. Box 260, Rayne, LA 70578
Phone: 337-334-3186
Fax: 337-334-8474

Church Point News
315 N. Main St., Church Point, LA 70525
Phone: 337-684-5711
Fax: 337-684-5793

Follow Us