VP Fire Department and District II respond to several calls
By: CARISSA HEBERT
The Ville Platte Fire Department had several calls during the last two weeks. Some of those calls were in District Two, Ward One’s area.
Fire calls included:
On October 25:
•A gas leak was reported at a Ville Platte Housing apartment at 903 W. Hickory St. No alarm was given. One truck responded at 7 a.m. and checked the area.
On November 1,
•A bomb threat at Walmart at 2:16 a.m. One truck responded and stood by until the area was cleared.
•A grass fire at 5183 L’anse Bleu Road. The side of the road was on fire. Two trucks from Ville Platte and two trucks from Belaire Cove responded at 3:30 p.m. with 11 firefighters.
•A bomb threat at the Sports Bar at 2:29 a.m. Three trucks from Ville Platte responded with eight firefighters and conducted traffic detail until the area was cleared.
On November 4:
•A pot on the stove at the residence of Dallas Toussaint, 1020 N. Reed Street, was reported at 10:16 p.m. Three trucks from Ville Platte and four firefighters responded.
On November 5:
•The alarm was activated at Heritage Manor, 220 S. Thompson, at 5:41 a.m. The alarm was reset.
•A grass fire on the side of the road was reported at Highway 104 and Camp Road at 2:21 p.m. Two Ville Platte trucks and five firefighters responded.
On November 6:
•Heavy damage was reported to a vehicle belonging to Cemella Wilson Arvie, 111 E. Jackson, when fire appeared under the hood at 4:48 p.m. Twelve firefighters and two trucks responded.
•Eight firefighters rescued a man at 616 E. Desota by pulling his leg from a hole in the road at 6:15 a.m. at the corner of Stagg and Long streets.
•A grass fire was reported on the side of the road near the residence of Jody Fontenot, Highway 167 South at 1:57 p.m. Seven firefighters, two trucks from Ville Platte and two trucks from Faubourg responded.
On November 8:
•A grass fire at the corner of Clifton and Fruge was reported at 11:24 a.m. Two trucks from Ville Platte and two from Belaire Cove responded along with 13 firefighters.
•A trailer fire was reported at 4:37 p.m. near Chataignier at the residence of Martin Bellow, 225 Grant St. Four trucks from Ville Platte, four trucks from Chataignier, one truck from Belaire Cove and two trucks from the Eunice Fire Department responded with 25 firefighters.
•A rice bin was reported on fire at the intersection of state Highways 104 and 165 at 7:36 p.m. Two firefighters, four trucks from Ville Platte and one truck from Chataignier responded.
On November 9:
•A splice in a wire in the attic caused a fire at Lee Freeman’s residence, 505 SW Railroad at 9:24 a.m. Nineteen firefighters and three Ville Platte trucks responded and pulled the meter and removed insulation out of the attic.
On November 11:
•Nineteen firefighters were called to assist Acadian when a car went into a house on the Chataignier Road at 2:54 a.m. One truck from Ville Platte, one truck from Belaire Cove and two from Chataignier responded.
•An accident was reported on the Chicot Road at 11:08 p.m. Sixteen firefighters assisted Acadian Ambulance and used tools to open the door.
On November 13:
•No alarm was given when the alarm rang at Developmental Head Start on the Te Mamou Road at 10:48 a.m. The building was checked and the alarm was reset.
On November 17:
•First responders were called to 510 Canal St. at 6:51 p.m. when the person at this residence didn’t respond. One truck and 11 firefighters assisted Acadian Ambulance.
On November 19:
•No alarm was given when the fire alarm rang at the Evangeline Parish Courthouse at 12:07 a.m. The alarm was reset.
•A truck, belonging to Ronald Frank, 611 N. Dupre, was reported on fire at 5:40 p.m. on this day. Ten firefighters and two trucks from Ville Platte responded.
•The alarm was activated at the courthouse again at 12:41 a.m. For the second time it was reset and the area was checked.
On November 20:
•No alarm was given when an 18-wheeler went into a ditch and had fuel leaking at 10:42 p.m.
•A grass fire was reported at 1078 Snooks Road. Two trucks from Ville Platte and one truck from Belaire Cove responded along with 14 firefighters before the call was canceled.
On November 21:
•A truck overheated at 402 E. WIlson at 8:59 p.m. Thirteen firefighters and two trucks responded.
•After a heater sparked at 308 Court St., one truck responded to the call at 10:45 a.m. The capacitor was disconnected.
•A grass fire was reported at the intersection of state Highway 104 and Ruth Lane. Two trucks and six firefighters responded at 11:48 a.m.
On November 23:
•The alarm was activated in the jail when an inmate burned incense at 11:58 p.m. One truck responded to the call and advised not to burn the incense.
•A tree smoking, which caught fire from burning leaves, was reported at the Duane Urbina residence, 4120 Whiteville Road, at 12:44 p.m. One truck responded.
On November 25:
•Eight firefighters assisted Acadian Ambulance at 5627 Vine St. at 4:31 p.m.
On November 27:
•No alarm was given when a smoke alarm sounded at the residence of Dianne Deshotel, 804 Oak Alley at 8:59 a.m. One firefighter responded and checked the alarm, which was reset.
•A back bedroom was on fire at a vacant house, 718 W. Beech St. at 11 a.m. Two trucks and 19 firefighters responded.
On November 28:
•No alarm was given when firefighters checked an alarm at Ida Deshotel’s residence, 804 Oak Alley, at 4:05 p.m. They discovered a wiring problem.